Thursday, December 31, 2015

The Year Ender

"Please don't vent out so much on politics Ani" said a tearful Abanti Mashi as she hugged me, "I don't want you to fall in to any kind of trouble." If you think she was being emotional, then you haven't met the part of me which agreed with her and soon put an end to it.
This year, continuing from the last, has kicked up a lot of political debates. You would have spotted me venting my ire on many trivial/mega issues where logic was left out of the public debate.
I won't be entirely off commenting on politics; shall be back with a redefined role in public debate, closely aligned to the sarcastic and neutral posts of the past.
What I do want to reflect on, are a few events/people who left a mark on me this year and resulted in some positive changes. I wish to express my gratitude.

Perfect Start - Started the year in my favourite spot on this planet, Sridham Mayapur, with my favourite activity - kirtan - at midnight and then the pre-dawn arati and chanting. It couldn't get more emphatic for me, having just gotten back from Sikkim - a trip to savour for life. So grateful to our host Samuel (check my last blog post) and Bharat with whom it was the third year end trip for making this happen.

Inititation- Our Guru H.H. Radhanath Swami, accepted more than 65 of us in the official guru disciple succession of the Gaudiya Vaishnava lineage. All of us, incidentally arranged, were born into and brought up in Krsna Consciousness. And as much as he is our Guru, Radhanath Swami has been more of a father and friend with so many loving exchanges for us to happily recount.
I presumed with Inititation, I'd get some spiritual surcharge (honestly superpowers) to excel and be a model disciple. However, it has been more of a test and a continous attempt to improve on the vows of Inititation.

Professional twists - The first half of the year was exhausting, with sparse time at home. A lot of it was locked into a relentless turmoil. There was a 'Donkey Kong' or 'he who must not be named' (simply because the said person  was too disgusting to be named, not out of fear - RIP Voldemort there aren't many classy villains left like you) who decided to shower me with all his unethical and unprofessional glory.
Long story short, we fought tooth and nail, proxy wars, cold wars; with no winners. But I am grateful to him, as it expedited the review of my future plans, which resulted in some good decisions. Also, the said person drew out the best of my sarcastic humour. (*wink* *wink* Anushree)

MBA- I honestly wasn't paying attention to the impending MBA part time entrance test, with long tours pinned to my list of excuses.
Everything changed when I entered the tube lift of the new building in NMIMS. And life has changed since then. I've got the most lovely batch of co-students, whom I now proudly call friends. It's hectic to balance work and college and lose out on vacations and weekends. But it has churned the best out of me and shall hope it continues to do so. And even if it doesn't, I know I'm gonna have a kick ass time with the folks here.


Rise of the Phoenix - The reader in me died earlier this year, consumed primarily by the smartphone and American TV series deluge. After years of Capt. Purvesh coaxing me to join him at Tata Lit, I finally broke the hodoo and this time pulled him into it. Totally cherished hearing from a distinguished set of authors, a workshop on writing Scifi and what not. I also pinched my friends' PG Wodehouse. And thus the began the rebirth of the Reader. Currently I'm on two books a day with a third to be added asap. And then suddenly realise my to-read lost is LONG!




Aniyore - For the record I've scored 8 out of 200 in SUPW + Arts in the 8th standard. (Luckily that had no consequence on the overall result) and to think I was part of a festival that was centered around Art, Beats and Creativity!
My prostrated obeisance to Aishwarya and Surabhi for pulling off an event from scratch. So many dream of doing big things, they nailed it! with a robust team of friends. For my involvement, I only wished to be a consultant and help around but soon got drawn in. However, I backed out towards the last laps, for certain reasons now regret could have been managed with some jugaad.
But Aniyore churned out some dormant layers of creativity hidden deep in the heart. Didn't put it to much effect in the festival, but changed a few things in life otherwise. Also on dwelling on the many mistakes I made in this period, there are a few deadly habits and mannerisms I've managed to weed out. And it has inspired a trickle of creative pursuits, which should hopefully see the light of the day in 2016. For this, I am forever indebted to Aniyore and commit to more action than promises next time round.

Sudi gets married - My dearest sister finally got married to her dearest dear. It was so emphatic, having witnessed the romance from its earliest days as the third wheel. And watched it mature as it grew through the distances of many cities and even internationally. Sudi is a rock, is a lion. Her beauty is combination of the ravishing grace of a model, packed with fiestyness of a Leo and courage and determination to which I find any comparison unfulfilling. It was just my happiest moment to see her reach her Happy moment.

Ikigai - In most of the events above, you might have noted the repeated effect of the word churned. And I'm grateful to 2015 for letting them happen. Through everything, what I noticed changing in me, is the will to rejoice change rather than dwell in the comfort zone. And the reason I'm writing this open diary, is to challenge myself into letting this continue. I wish my life to be more rewarding with experiences of seeing the world, reaching out to more lives and making a difference and reaching beautiful souls and swap stories of our lives.
There are a few key people who I want to mention (Hey Vikas) but I'd rather share with you in person. And there are many more people who helped through the lows and worst times of the year. You know who you are and you know I owe you for life.
What's the plan for 2016? Resolutions always have lost their steam. I only wish for the above experiences to roll out into a juggernaut of activities next year.
Thank You for your patience and wish you a Happy 2016!! And do write/call back to let me know how your year went by!

3 comments:

Treasure said...

U r a rock star!

Unknown said...

Excellent read. Nailed it in a nutshell like a boss, without really missing out on the vital parts. The optimistic outlook portrayed and the steely determination to not only accept but embrace change is an inspiration.

Purvesh Gada said...

It's my privilege to have you agree to come for the lit fest. More imp is to have a good friend like you around.